If you wish to open or renovate a food premises, Public Health Inspectors are here to consult on the process. We can provide information on your responsibilities under Ontario’s Health Protection and Promotion Act and Food Premises Regulation, and other regulations, if applicable.
Smart Start Kit
We have created a “Smart Start” package (below), which contains information you will need in order to obtain Health Unit approval for your proposed food premises.
1. Form: Notice of Intent to Operate a Food Premises
- A Notice of Intent to Operate a Food Premises form must be submitted to the Health Unit together with the plans/drawings of your food premises. Two sets of plans to scale are required.
- Fill out and submit the form online
- Download a copy of the Notice of Intent to Operate a Food Premises Form (fillable PDF), fill it in, and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org or drop it off at our West Gore office.
- To receive an alternate format of the form, please call Health Line at 519-271-7600 or toll-free at 1-877-271-7348 extension 267.
2. Guidelines for Constructing or Renovating a Food Premises
3. Suggested Equipment and Construction Materials for Food Premises
- A list of equipment and construction materials that meet the requirements of the Food Premises Regulations.
4. Copy of the Ontario Food Premises Regulations 493 under the Health Protection and Promotion Act
- You are required to operate and maintain the food premises in accordance with this Regulation.
5. Handwashing and Dishwashing Signs
- Your area Public Health Inspector will provide you with the required signs.
6. Safe Cooking Temperatures Chart
7. Additional Food Safety Information
8. Additional Health Unit Program Information
- To discuss what you need to do to meet the requirements of the Health Unit, please call the Health Protection Department and ask to speak with your area Public Health Inspector at 519-271-7600 or toll-free call 1-877-271-7348 extension 252 or email us.