For event organizers:
Contact us as soon as you begin planning an event. A Public Health Inspector will provide you with the information you need to make your special event a safe one. To adequately assess your event, please send all forms (organizer form and food vendor forms) into us two weeks in advance of the event.
Please note that hand wash stations, pictured below, are required at the booth of any participant who serves food at the event.
- Fill out and submit this Organizer Form or call us 519-271-7600 extension 252.
- An Inspector will contact you and send you forms for your food vendors. The forms must be completed by any participants who are providing food, including packaged food, during the event.
- Ask vendors to send the completed forms back to you. They need to fill them out, save the file and send you the saved file (or they can fill out by hand).
- Collect the completed food vendor forms and submit them to your Inspector.
For those providing food at special events:
If you wish to provide food to the public at a Special Event:
- Speak with the event organizer who can provide you with a food vendor form.
- Fill out the form, save the file and send the organizer the saved file. Or, fill out the form by hand, and submit it to your event organizer.
- An inspector may call you if there is any information on your form that needs to be discussed (such as incomplete information, unreadable information, or proposed methods of food handling).
- If you are selling only packaged food, such as pop and potato chips, you do not require a hand wash station. All other food service, including food samples, requires a hand wash station. See picture below.
If you have questions, please call us at 519-271-7600 extension 252.
Food Safety Videos
Food Safety at Special Events
Here are some additional resources that will provide you with food safety information at your special event.
- Alcohol – Serving and Selling
- Government of Ontario – Handle Food Safely. Clean, Separate, Cook, Chill.
- Government of Ontario – Food Safety – Reduce the Risk of Foodborne Illnesses
Are you organizing a special event? The Smoke-Free Ontario Act – Checklist for Outdoor Event Organizer provides information about setting up a smoke-free event.
To speak with a Public Health Inspector and receive a Food Safety at Special Events package, please call 519-271-7600 or toll-free at 1-877-271-7348 extension 252.
Plan to call the public health inspector at least two weeks in advance of your event.