For event organizers:
- Contact us as soon as you begin planning an event.
- A Public Health Inspector will provide you with the information you need to make your special event a safe one.
- To adequately assess your event, please submit all forms (organizer form and food vendor forms) to us two weeks in advance of the event.
- If your event has an animal exhibit or petting zoo, please visit our Petting Zoos and Animal Exhibitions page, which includes an information package.
- Fill out and submit this Organizer Form online or download a copy of the Special Event Organizer Form (Fillable PDF), fill it in, and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org or drop it off at our West Gore office. To receive an alternate format of the form, please call 519-271-7600 or toll-free at 1-877-271-7348 extension 252.
- Download and distribute the Food Vendor Form (Fillable PDF) to be completed by any participants who are providing food, including packaged food, during the event. Or call the above number and the Vendor Forms can be sent to you.
- Ask vendors to submit the completed forms by email to email@example.com or back to you.
- Collect the completed food vendor forms and submit them to your Inspector.
For those providing food at special events:
If you wish to provide food to the public at a Special Event:
- Fill out a Food Vendor Form and either email it to firstname.lastname@example.org or contact the event organizer for a form.
- An inspector may call you if there is any information on your form that needs to be discussed (such as incomplete information, unreadable information, or proposed methods of food handling).
- If you are selling only packaged food, such as pop and potato chips, you do not require a hand wash station. All other food service, including food samples, requires a hand wash station. See picture below.
If you have questions, please call us at 519-271-7600 or toll-free at 1-877-271-7348 extension 252.
Here are some additional resources that will provide you with food safety information at your special event.
- Government of Ontario – Handle Food Safely. Clean, Separate, Cook, Chill.
- Government of Ontario – Food Safety – Reduce the Risk of Foodborne Illnesses
- Government of Ontario – Food Safety Matters at Community Special Events – Video
- Please note that hand wash stations, pictured below, are required at the booth of any participant who serves food at the event, including food samples.
- If selling only packaged food, such as pop and potato chips, food vendors do not require a hand wash station.
The Smoke-Free Ontario Act – Checklist for Outdoor Event Organizer provides information about setting up a smoke-free event.
To speak with a Public Health Inspector and receive a Food Safety at Special Events package, please call 519-271-7600 or toll-free at 1-877-271-7348 extension 252.
Plan to call the public health inspector at least two weeks in advance of your event.