You are an important role model for your children and you can influence their decisions. Talk to your kids about what is going on in their day-to-day lives. Being engaged can allow you to be a source of information about cannabis, and for you to set clear expectations and consequences around substance use together. For more tips check out this booklet: Strategies for Parents to Prevent or Delay Alcohol and Other Drug Use
- Just like with tobacco, second hand smoke from cannabis can be harmful. If you choose to use cannabis, avoid using it in front of or near your children.
- Do not provide cannabis to youth.
- Store cannabis where children and youth can’t access it.
Resources for Parents
- Canadian Centre on Substance Abuse – Parents: Help your Teen Understand what’s Fact and Fiction about Marijuana – Infographic
- Canadian Public Health Association – Discussing Pot and Driving with Teenagers – A Guide for Adults
- Centre for Addiction and Mental Health – Cannabis: What Parents, Guardians, and Caregivers Need to Know
- Drug Free Kids Canada – Cannabis Talk Kit
- Parent Action Pack – Stats, Facts, and Talking Points about Alcohol and Other Drugs
- Rethink Your Drinking: Information for Parents
- Talk to your Kids about Alcohol and Drugs