Animals can carry germs that can make people sick. If you follow these tips, you and your family can enjoy your visit without worrying about getting sick.
- Wash your hands with soap and water after touching the animals. If a hand sanitizer or hand rub is available instead of running water, use it. Do not use baby wipes instead of washing your hands, as they do not kill some germs.
- Wash your hands before eating.
- Do not eat or drink while touching the animals.
- Keep your hands away from your face or mouth unless you know they are clean.
- Do not drink unpasteurized milk. This is milk that has not been heated to a proper temperature
Visit the doctor if you become sick with unusual diarrhea or diarrhea with blood in it.
Source: Middlesex-London Health Unit Executive Summary from “An E.coli O157:H7 Outbreak Associated with an Animal Exhibit”.