Facts about Abortion Services
- Abortion services are legally available in Ontario through hospitals or private clinics.
- Costs are covered by Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) at most clinics and clients will need their Ontario Health Card number. Abortions can be performed up to 22 weeks of pregnancy. In the first trimester the procedure consists of laminar insertions followed by vacuum aspiration. Dilatation and evacuation is done up to 20 plus weeks of gestation.
- An abortion should be performed as early in the pregnancy as possible.
- Clinics may prefer that a client calls to arrange their own appointment. The clinic may require a letter to confirm the pregnancy or an ultrasound to confirm gestational age. These can be obtained through either a family physician or a Public Health Nurse from the Perth District Health Unit’s Sexual Health Clinic.
- After an abortion, a three-week follow-up appointment is required. This may be done through a family physician or at the Health Unit’s Sexual Health Clinic.
For first trimester (up to 12 weeks)
Gyne Specialty Clinic – Abortion services
Free Port Health Centre, Grand River Hospital, Kitchener
Outpatient Booking Number 519-749-4254
This is a one-day procedure.
For First and Second trimester (up to 22 weeks)
Pregnancy Options Program, Pregnancy Termination Clinic
Women’s Health Care Centre, London Health Sciences Centre, London
Booking Number 519-685-8204
This is a two-day procedure.
Services may also be arranged through alternate locations if necessary. For more information the Shore Centre website provides further information online. If you have questions about the safety of abortion or other concerns, or if you have had an abortion and need follow up care or support, call a Public Health Nurse at 519-271-7600 or toll-free at 1-877-271-7348 extension 779.