Quitting smoking is the most important thing you can do to improve your health!
Quitting smoking is a process. Not everyone is at the same point in his or her readiness to quit smoking. While some individuals are not even thinking about quitting, others are considering quitting and some are well on their way to a smoke-free life.
Most smokers will go through the following five stages:
Stage One – You don’t want to quit
Stage Two – You are thinking about quitting
Stage Three – You are preparing to quit
Stage Four – You have recently quit
Stage Five – You have quit and working on staying smoke-free
Stop Smoking Clinic
The Perth District Health Unit runs a Stop Smoking Clinic at the Festival Square office. The clinic offers free one-on-one counselling to help you understand why you smoke, reduce the amount you smoke, set a stop date, consider different methods of quitting and make a quit plan. Free nicotine replacement therapy such as the patch, gum, lozenge and inhaler are also available for eligible clinic clients. Call 519-271-7600 or toll-free at 1-877-271-7348 extension 722 to make an appointment.
To find out how much you spend on cigarettes and how much you can save by quitting, use the Lung Association Quit Calculator.
Perth County Smoking Cessation Services
Perth District Health Unit: Stop Smoking Clinic
- Free tobacco cessation counselling, quit kits and nicotine replacement therapy when available.
- Check out our Stop Smoking Clinic or call 519-271-7600 or toll-free 1-877-271-7348 extension 722.
- A service of the Canadian Cancer Society. Free support over the phone, online and text. Work one-on-one with a quit coach. Referrals to community services and more.
- Visit Smokers’ Helpline or call 1-877- 513-5333
Leave the Pack Behind
- For young adults 18 to 29. Free Resources, quit contest and nicotine replacement therapy when available. Check availability and register online.
Choices for Change
- Free counselling and support to quit smoking. Nicotine replacement therapy when available for Choices for Change clients.
- Call 519-271-6730
Family Health Teams
- Call to book an appointment for smoking cessation and receive one-on-one support with a cessation counsellor. Free nicotine replacement therapy when available through the “Stop” program.