After a flood, it's important to restore your home as soon as possible to protect your health and prevent further damage.
For information on cleaning up after a flood, click on the Links and Resources at right
What to Do with Food After a Flood
Any of the following food items exposed to flood waters must be disposed of:
- the contents of your freezer or refrigerator
- all meats
- all fresh fruit and vegetables
- all boxed foods
- all bottled drinks and products in jars, including home preserves*, and
- all medicines, cosmetics and other toilet items.
All undamaged canned goods must be thoroughly washed and disinfected. Any cans with large dents or which show signs of seepage must be destroyed.
All contaminated dishes and utensils must be thoroughly washed or disinfected by using boiling water or by using a disinfecting solution like bleach and water.
* The area under the seal of jars and bottles cannot be adequately disinfected.
For more information, click on the Resources at right.