For curriculum support from the Health Unit, please complete our on-line forms:
The Health Unit is here to provide teachers with reliable and trusted information to support your teaching activities, for all grades.
Curriculum Links by Health Topic
- Prevnet – Tip sheets and resources for teachers
- Ontario Dental Association – Puzzle Downloads
Gender and Sexual Orientation
- Egale Canada Human Rights Trust – National Lesbian, Gay, Bixsexual, Transgender, Questioning, Queer organization advancing equality, diversity, education and justice
- Pflag Canada – Information and support on issues of sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression
- Canadian Mental Health Association – Committed to making mental health possible for all
- Centre for Addiction and Mental Health – Information and printable resources to support mental health in your school or classroom
- Centre for School Mental Health at Western University – Addresses the need for improved school-based promotion, prevention and intervention services for children who may be at risk for, or who present with, mental health challenges
- Teach Resiliency – Resources and tools that support mental health and wellness of teachers and students
- Bright Bites – At this site, access tools and resources that help students develop a balanced approach to healthy eating. The activities in Bright Bites are designed to engage students in transforming the culture of nutrition in the school and have a positive impact on students’ physical and mental well-being.
- Sip Smart!™ Ontario Teacher Resource Guide – This interactive classroom-based program aims to encourage children and youth to make water their beverage of choice. It provides students in grades 3 to 7 with the knowledge and skills they need to make healthier beverage choices. The lessons reflect prescribed learning outcomes for the Health and Physical Education curriculum for grades 3 to 7 and fit well into the Foundations for a Healthy School model from the Ontario Ministry of Education.
- Canada’s Food Guide – This link takes you to healthy eating resources related to Canada’s Food Guide including recipes, information on healthy eating at school, snacks, meal planning, and food choices and the environment.
- Nutrition Connections – A hub of tools and resources on food literacy, nutrition and healthy eating.
- Unlock Food – Information on nutrition, food and healthy eating as well as recipes, videos and interactive healthy eating tools. It also has resources on cooking, shopping and meal planning.
- 60 Minute Kids’ Club
- Active for Life – Lesson Plan Builder
- Canadian Society of Exercise Physiology – Canadian 24 Hour Movement Guidelines for Children and Youth
- Ontario Physical and Health Education Association
- Physical and Health Education Canada
- Play Sport
- Thompson Educational Publishing – Functional Fitness Charts
Always Changing – School-based puberty education and healthy, active living program for students in grades 5 through 8
- Healthy Relationships Menu of Services – Created by Perth’s Stop Violence Against Women Coordinating Committee. Provides local youth-oriented dating abuse programs, education, and supports for school personnel. For a copy, call Health Line at 519-271-7600 or toll-free at 1-877-271-7348 extension 267.
These Best Start booklets for adults and teens will guide them through six topic areas, providing them with facts and referrals, and the opportunity to respond to a series of questions that will help them to make healthy decisions, set goals and plan for their future. Topics include: physical health, mental health, reproductive health, relationships, family health history and their future.
Adult – My Life My Plan:
Teen – My Life My Plan:
- Teen My Life My Plan Booklet (booklet available from the Health Unit – see Print Resource Order Form for Schools)
- Teen My Life My Plan (fillable document)
- Ontario Physical and Health Education Association Teaching Tools – Offers quick and easy access to a variety of lesson plans, supplements and activities that will help you implement Health and Physical Education
- Society of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists – Sex and U – Provides accurate, credible, and up-to-date information and education on topics related to sexual and reproductive health
- Canadian Cancer Society – Sun Sense – Information and resources on sun safety and creating a sun safe environment at school
- Catch My Breath Curriculum – A program that will help students build knowledge and skills to resist media influences and peer pressure to try e-cigarettes. It was designed to be delivered by teachers, nurses, or school counsellors, in the area of health education, tobacco education, physical education, or science (grades 6 to 12)
- Discovery Education – Lesson plan for high school students that highlights the dangers of smoking, factors that influence decisions, tobacco adverting strategies, and more
- Ontario Lung Association – Talking About…Series – Educational resource addressing cannabis, tobacco, vaping, and water pipes. The series includes a set of activity guides, one for each topic, to help facilitate critical discussion with students (grades 7 to 12) in a fun and informative manner
- Ontario Physical and Health Education Association – Ideas for Action – Action guide with collection of activities to create a smoke-free school and support tobacco prevention efforts (scroll down to Ideas for Action link)
- Region of Peel – Smoking Isn’t Cool – Helps educators teach smoking prevention and the harmful effects of smoking to students in Kindergarten to grade 5
- Stanford Tobacco Prevention Toolkit – Modules that provide education and information on e-cigarettes, and the harms associated with use (grades 6 to 12)