As of July 1st, 2018, all food service premises“food service premise” means any food premise where meals or meal portions are prepared for immediate consumption or sold or served in a form that will permit immediate consumption on the premises or elsewhere. require at least one trained food handler or trained supervisor on site while operating. Below are some ways to get your food handler training certificate.
In Good Hands On-line Course
An Ontario based on-line course is accessible at In Good Hands.
It is followed by an in-person final written test, which is done and marked at the Health Unit. When you have finished the online course and successfully completed the final written test (at a cost of $10), you will earn an Ontario food handler certificate recognized by Ontario health units. The certification is valid for five years.
The passing mark for the final test is 70%. The total cost for the course (plus final test) is $40.51.
Call us when you are ready to book a time for the final test at 519-271-7600 extension 318.
Perth District Health Unit’s In-Class Courses
Food safety courses are offered every spring and fall.
After attending the course and passing the test, you will get Food Handler Training Certification that is valid for five years.
In Perth County food handler certification is not a requirement of the Health Unit, however, we promote that managers have food handler training and that each food premises has at least one trained person present during food preparation.
Topics covered in the course include:
- Role of the Board of Health
- Public Health laws
- Food safety management principles including Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP)
- Safe handling, preparation and storage of food
- Food handler hygiene
- Food premises sanitation, design and maintenance
- Prevention of food allergies
- Response to emergency situations (fire, flood, blackout).
The six hour course is followed by a test with a passing mark of 70%.
Perth District Health Unit Courses
- October 15th and 17th, 2018 from 5:30 pm to 8:30 pm at the Perth District Health Unit, Stratford – $30
- October 23rd, 2018 from 9:00 am to 3:30 pm at the Pyramid Center, St. Marys – $40
To get on the waiting list, please call 519-271-7600 extension 280.