New Ontario Regulation 493: Food Premises
As of July 1st, 2018, the new Ontario Regulation 493: Food Premises came into effect under the Health Protection and Promotion Act. This is an update to the previous regulation and contains several changes. The new regulation sets out the requirements that food premise owners and operators must follow, and covers safe food handling, cleaning and sanitizing, operations, and maintenance.
For more information visit our New Regulations page.
The Perth District Health Unit is your partner in protecting the health of your customers. What we do to support food premises operators:
- Inspect food premises, as required by law
- Investigate complaints related to food premises and food borne illness
- Educate about food safety and the requirements of the Food Premises Regulations
- Provide individual consultation with a Public Health Inspector when opening a restaurant or food premises
- Provide Food Safety Certification Courses for you and your staff
- Provide information during food recalls and emergencies, including Boil Water Advisories and power outages.
- Assess potential risks of food served at Special Events and provide advice on safe food handling practices and compliance with the Regulation.
Call our Health Line at 519-271-7600 or toll-free at 1-877-271-7348 extension 267 to speak with a public health nurse about any of these services.