When: November 2017
Where: At schools across Perth and Huron counties
For children eligible for school in September 2018 who are:
- three years old by December 31st, 2017 – Junior Kindergarten
- four years old by December 31st, 2017 – Senior Kindergarten
At the event:
- Sign up your child for Junior or Senior Kindergarten for 2018
- Learn about your child’s development
- Get tips on how to prepare your child for school
For the Calling All Three Year Olds event date at your local school, contact the school or district board office after October 1st.
- Call Avon Maitland District School Board at 1-800-592-5437
- Call Huron-Perth Catholic District School Board at 1-800-265-8508
What is Calling All Three Year Olds?
Calling All Three Year Olds is a school readiness program and is coordinated by partner agencies in Perth and Huron counties. This partnership includes:
- health units
- school boards
- and community early childhood programs and service providers.
Calling All Three Year Olds offers universal developmental screening, early identification of developmental delays by a trained screener using the Looksee Checklist (formerly the Nipissing District Developmental Screen), and promotes local early child development programs and services.
The program provides an opportunity nine months before school entry for:
- parents to learn about their child’s development and how to prepare their child for school
- schools to introduce parents to their child’s school and to plan for expected enrollments
- community early child development program and service providers to work in partnership with schools and other agencies working with preschool children.
Research has shown that the first three years of a child’s development sets the base for competence and coping skills that affect learning, behaviour and health throughout life. The early identification of developmental delay and intervention before school entry can improve development and social outcomes, school readiness and transition to school at a critical age in early child development.